Much to their delight, the Easter Bunny brought baskets with chocolate for the kids.
Then we made dyes from common grocery items. That was a lot of fun, but a lot more work than I anticipated. We used turmeric, red cabbage, coffee, beets, blackberries and yellow onion skins. They each boiled for 30 minutes, which made for a stinky kitchen (the house smelled of cabbage for several days). The turmeric created deep yellow, the coffee boring tan, the beets pink, the blackberries a vague purple, and the surprise of the bunch, the onions created a beautiful yellow-orange.


The cabbage created navy blue - after soaking the eggs over night. It was nothing short of a kitchen science experiment! And I don't intend to repeat it. We're still eating hard boiled eggs. Strike that, I'm still eating boiled eggs. No one else eats them.
Oh - almost forget, I also showed the kids how to blow out eggs - we have three lovely dyed shells. Wonder how long those will survive...
Beautiful.
Beautiful.

No comments:
Post a Comment